Friday, February 18, 2011

Getting Older Has Its Benefits

I'm was feeling old, really old . . .

In just four days I turn 48, just two years shy of 50.  I know, I know, "80 is the new 50."  Which means "50 is the new 18."  But I don't feel it: my body takes longer to recover from the intense physical workouts I perform on my bike, I seem to sleep fewer and fewer hours each night, and my hair is getting more thin and more grey.  I'm not much into celebrating birthdays, and this year I was beginning to feel even less so.

No, I'm not experiencing a mid-life crisis.  That's not supposed to happen until I hit that magic number 80.  I'm just beginning to take stock of my life; thinking about what I want to accomplish personally and professionally with the years I have left.  I'm also realizing that there are some wonderful benefits that come with growing older.  First and foremost there is the the gratification that comes from watching your childen grow older as well guided by the values you hold dear, and sharing the same experiences you yourself have come to cherish.

My daughter is currently visiting Israel for the very first time with her 8th grade Jewish day school class.   I've been to Israel close to 30 times and I'd always wanted to accompany her on her first trip but it just wasn't meant to be.  That's o.k. I've been savoring every moment of our daily chats (she just called to wish us a Shabbat shalom from Tel Aviv).  Hearing the excitement in her voice about her visit to Machane Yehuda, about eating a felafel at Moshiko's and climbing up on a Merkava tank at Latrun (the museum and memorial to Israel's armored division) has given me an unquantifiable amount of joy.  In short, watching my daughter fall in love with Israel has made getting older for me a tremendous b'rakha (blessing).   I now look forward to aging, to seeing my son walk on the same streets of Israel that I've walked and his older sister has tread, and watching both of my children living their Judaism and Zionism with passion.   Yes, getting older does have its benefits.

No comments:

Post a Comment