Thursday, February 16, 2012

Kobi Oz, Beit Shemesh, and Rav Amsalem



Last Shabbat (Shabbat Yitro) I taught and led a discussion about Kobi Oz's beatiful song entitled, "Elohay."  (You can hear the song here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUFWuEcykSg).  After my visit earlier this month to Beit Shemesh where I and other members of my Hartman RLI cohort met with some of the parents of the girls who attend the Modern Orthodox Bnot Orot elementary school (including Hadassah Margolis, the mother of Na'ama, the eight year-old girl who was spat upon by a Haredi man as she walked to school) and later with Rabbi Shlomo Pappenheim, (a scion of the Edah Haredit (Israel’s largest Haredi community which is also anti-Zionist) who began a dialogue with the Da’at Leumi (Modern Orthodox, Zionist) community of Beit Shemesh in the wake of the conflict that has racked the city), I questioned whether Kobi is correct to claim that:
Tolerance is bubbling beneath the surface.  Look how people are bit by bit leaving behind the tension and in the end just want to be united in this great synagogue called the Land of Israel.”
Kobi’s perspective is that there is a movement afoot in Israeli society for national unity between Jews of all denominations: secular, Reform, Masorti (Conservative), Da'at Leumi (Modern Orthodox), traditional and Haredi. 
The following video demonstrates the grave and great challenge that Israeli society faces vis-à-vis the Haredim.  My hope and prayer is that Rav Amsalem, a Haredi rabbi for whom I have the greatest admiration and respect, will lead a revolution that will restore some sense of moderation among the Haredim.  Alas, given the response from his former political party, Shas, I won’t be holding my breath.


No comments:

Post a Comment