Monday, February 4, 2013

Entering the Home Stretch

In just two, short days I will have competed my last winter session as a member of the Shalom Hartman Institute's RLI (Religious Leadership Institute) fellowship program. It's hard to believe that after nearly three years, five flights and countless hours of distance learning logged on Monday mornings my formal studies at Hartman are nearly at an end. I have also had some of the most remarkable experiences; meetings and encounters with some of Israel's top leaders in industry, the arts, government and religious life. I have visited places not seen by most Israelis: Rawabi, the first planned Palestinian city in the Palestinian Authority, and Hevron, home to the burial place of our avot (patriarchs) and imahot (matriarchs) and one of the most hotly contested of cities between Israelis and Palestinians.

But the greatest gift I've gotten from my experience as an RLI fellow is actually two-fold. There is nothing comparable to the level of limud Torah (Torah study) like that which you'll find at the Hartman Institute, especially when it's crafted and delivered for what the Machon (that's shorthand for the SHI) considers its crown jewel: our RLI program. I have studied with some of Israel's - and for that matter - the world's most acclaimed and cutting edge scholars of Judaic Studies: Moshe Halbertal, Moshe Idel, Menachem Lorberbaum, Melila Hellner Eshed, Alick Isaacs, Yehuda Kurtzer, Israel Knohl, Micah Goodman, Tal Becker, Shlomo Naeh, Gil Troy, Yossi Halevi, Rani Jaeger, Biti Roi, Rachel Korazim and of course, David and Donniel Hartman. And I have had the wonderful fortune of studying my Hartman Torah with colleagues who have now become my some of my best friends, most especially my Hartman havruta partner, Rabbi David Cohen.

Without a doubt I have feel like I have grown and developed as a Rabbi, a leader, and a teacher. As a result of my time at the Machon I relate to, think about and teach Jewish sources, ideas and concepts in a completely different way than I did before entering my program. With all of the new challenges facing the Jewish community and the synagogue world I feel well positioned to lead CBINT in the years ahead.

None of this would have been possible had it not been for an extraordinarily supportive lay leadership and congregation, a supportive and very patient family, and the tremendous generosity of Jerry and Louise Stein. I also awe a debt of gratitude to my beloved teachers, Rabbi David and Donniel Hartman,    Hartman North America's President, Dr. Yehuda Kurtzer, and the Machon's phenomenal administrative staff.

No comments:

Post a Comment