Monday, July 4, 2011

Only in Israel!

I don't know why I bothered to set my alarm last night.  This morning I was awakened at 5:30 am by the guy who picked all the recycleables that are collected on the street.  I swear, I heard each and every bottle and can hit the bottom of his truck.  My day had begun!

It continued with a wonderful surprise.  As I was walking down my street I heard a voice, "Rabbi Herber, Rabbi Herber!"  I backed up, looked up at the window of a second floor apartment and saw a familiar face.  It belonged to Uri Ish-Shalom, a young man who had been a member of my synagogue, Congregation Beth Israel.  Uri and his family had returned to live in Israel (Uri's father, Oded, is a native Israeli).  I had officiated at Uri's Bar Mitzvah and his confirmation, and just a few weeks agao had seen him in Milwaukee. I thought that the Ish-Shalom family was living in the Jerusalem neighborhood of Talpiyot.  Little did I know that they were living down the street from me.  I spent a few minutes catching up with Uri in their apartment and then was off to Machon Hartman, looking forward to seeing the rest of the family during my stay.

I had just experienced a wonderful, "only in Israel" moment, one that more than trumped that annoying moment when I woke up.

No comments:

Post a Comment