Friday, July 15, 2011

You'll Never Believe Who I Saw Jaywalking

Emek Refaim, the bustling street that runs through the heart of Hamoshavah Hagermanit (Jerusalem's "German Colony") is known for it's many fine restaurants, bars, shops and traffic.  Yesterday as my friend, colleague and roommate, Rabbi David Cohen, and I were driving on Emek to pick a friend up in Talbiyah our car and the cars in front of us came to a standstill.  We were already ten minutes later to the rendezvous point and we thought we would be even more late because we had arrived at a long jam (By the way, Rabbi Cohen reminds me of a Grand Prix race driver; one who skillfully navigates Jerusalem's streets with dexterity and speed) and then I noticed that trademark white hat bobbing up and then down just enough to be seen above the parked cars on the side of the street.  I knew the person under that hat, it was former refusnick, former Knesset member and minister and now Jewish Agency head, Natan Sharansky.



"It's Sharansky," I said with a just a hint of excitement.   And then I witnessed the unbelievable.  Sharansky jaywalked in the middle of the block to an awaiting car across the street.  In Israel, and most especially in Jerusalem the only people jaywalk are Americans and other foreign nationals.  Occasionally you'll see an Israeli illegally cross the street in such fashion, but their numbers are small.  Jaywalking in Jerusalem can earn you a hefty fine.  While Rabbi Cohen was miffed by the fact that we were in a traffic jam I was aghast at the fact that Natan Sharansky was jaywalking with such utter abandon.  But hey, it's Israel and anything is possible.

Shabbat shalom!   

No comments:

Post a Comment